Kisumu City will be hosting the 92nd Rotary District Conference and Assembly (DCA), scheduled for 20th to 23rd April, 2017. I fished out (pun intended) some amazing facts that I bet you did not know.
1. Kisumu hosted the first air flight in East and Central Africa; an inaugural mail flight from Kisumu to England in 1931.
2. In October 1900, the 62-ton ship SS William Mackinnon was reassembled and registered in Kisumu and made its maiden voyage to Entebbe. The SS Winifred (1901) and the SS Sybil (1901) were later added to the fleet in 1902 and 1904 respectively.
READ ALSO: Download the 92nd DCA registration form HERE
3. Grace Onyango was elected as mayor of Kisumu town in 1965. She become the first woman mayor in Africa.
4. New Nyanza Provincial Hospital is locally referred to as a ‘Russia’ because it was built with funding from the Soviet government in the 1960’s.
5. Winston Churchill visited Kisumu in 1907.
6. Kondele shopping centre arguably boasts one of the highest number of bars and drinking places per kilometer in Kenya ( if not Africa).
8. The first skeleton plan for Kisumu was prepared in 1899. Another plan was later prepared in May, 1900.
9. The famous town clock on Oginga Odinga street was unveiled on 19 August 1938 by the then Governor of Kenya Sir Robert Brooke-Popham.
10. The Huduma Centre building is the tallest in Kisumu.
11. Some of the white settlers actually believed, erroneously that it derived its name from ‘sumu’ – a Swahili word meaning poison because of the dangerous malaria-carrying mosquitoes in the area.